Facebook albums here and here.
PICTURES OF THE WEEK:
Kevin picked up this kid and swung him around and made as if he was going to bodyslam him. "I fucked him up good," Kevin said.
GOOGLE GROUPS POST OF THE WEEK:
Kevin (yes, the one above), 4/27: BUC's First Night Ultimate
Back in Boulder, i had a good friend who invented FlashFlight, the LED-lit frisbee. Being one of the original test group for figuring out how night ultimate would work, i have in my possession a complete set of gear. I hosted night games in boulder regularly, and am delighted to welcome everyone to BUC's first ever night ultimate pick-up.
WHAT: NIGHT ULTIMATE!!
WHERE: Zhi Chun Lu, same fields as wednesday pick up.
WHEN: May 2nd, 8-10pm.
WHO: Everyone is invited, but there's only enough equipment for 7 on 7 at one time. If you happen to have another disc, please bring it!
HOW MUCH: 20 RMB
WHAT TO WEAR: Everyone must wear white, whiter the better. If you have a white long sleeve shirt and white jogging pants, wear it. This helps with your peripheral vision on the field. I have enough red and green LED headbands for 7 on 7, so you'll be able to tell where your teammates are, but the white clothes helps "see" where the open space is. I suggest everyone wear running shoes, instead of cleats. Getting stepped on is more likely when you can't see everyone around you.
HOW DOES IT WORK: Alicia already sent this link with our time-tested variations on how to play ultimate at night:
http://flashflight.com/nightgames/index.shtml ... but here are the highlights.
- We'll play 7 on 7 (if possible) and we'll play normal scoring rules.
- We got really lucky with the fields, as soccer people cancelled on May 2nd. So, we'll make one big field going the long way, so the endzones don't reach the slippery pavement.
- Endzones will be clearly marked as well, leave that to me.
- Defense should agree to generally take a step off and let the offense flow. Think Defense plays at 80%, Offense plays at 90%. This is to hopefully eliminate injuries and the dangers of hospital passes. Our goal is to have fun and try something new. Hopefully the lack of cleats will force everyone to play just a little slower as well.
- Teams will be constantly changing, because there are only enough LED headbands for the players on the field. At the end of a point, new players will take a headband from whoever needs a sub and join that team.
Fun is awesome!